Trinity Life At Home, Atlanta’s Leading In-Home Health Services Provider, Cares About Fall Prevention
Falling can be scary for seniors, and it’s important to stay informed about the facts associated with senior falls. According to the National Council on Aging, falls are the leading cause of injuries among older adults. Every year, 1 in every 4 adults over the age of 65 experience a fall. As alarming as these statistics are, many falls can be prevented with a few helpful strategies. At Trinity Life At Home, the in-home health services provider for Metro Atlanta, we believe fall prevention is critical to keeping senior loved ones safe, and we offer these tips.
Causes of Senior Falls
Senior falls happen for a variety of reasons, ranging from medical conditions to environmental hazards. Some common causes of falls include:
- Weakness and balance problems
- Vision changes
- Medications side effects
- Home hazards, such as throw rugs, slippery floors, and poor lighting
- Chronic health conditions like arthritis and heart disease
- Senior conditions such as Alzheimer’s Disease, Lewy Body Dementia, Neurological Trauma, Pick’s Disease
Facts about Senior Falls
Here are a few scary facts you should know about senior falls:
- A senior falls every 12 seconds in the US.
- Every year falls result in over 2.8 million injuries treated in emergency departments, 800,000 hospitalizations, and over 27,000 deaths.
- The rate of fatal falls among seniors has increased significantly in recent years, and seniors are 2.8 times more likely to fall today than in the past.
- Falls are responsible for the highest number of deaths due to injury among older adults.
- The average healthcare cost for falls is $30,000, and Medicare covers approximately 78% of those costs.
Tips for Fall Prevention
There are many preventative steps you can take to reduce the fall risks in your home. Here are a few tips:
Keep Your Home Safe: Identify and fix any potential fall hazards that could cause a fall in your home. For instance, remove any rugs, ensure good lighting, and add handrails to stairs.
Stay Active: Exercise regularly to maintain strength and balance, which can help prevent falls. Programs like Tai Chi and gentle yoga can help with balance and improve muscle strength.
Review Medications: Review the medications that you or your loved one is taking to ensure they are not causing any side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness. Be sure to discuss any medication concerns you may have with your healthcare provider.
Get Regular Vision Exams: Poor vision can increase the risk of falls, so it’s vital to get regular eye exams.
Wear Proper Footwear: Avoid walking around in slippers or stocking feet, and instead opt for shoes with good traction and support.
Utilize Mobility Aids: If needed, use canes, walkers, or other mobility aids to help maintain balance.
Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can lead to dizziness. It is essential to drink plenty of water and other fluids throughout the day.
Consider In-Home Care: In-home care services for seniors can help prevent falls by aiding with daily activities. An in-home care services provider, such as Trinity Life At Home, can offer personal assistance with any medical or living needs as well as assure that the home environment is safe.
Trinity Life At Home, The Chosen In-Home Health Services Provider For Atlanta Families
Although falls can be scary, taking the steps outlined above can help to prevent them. Staying aware of the risk factors that contribute to falls can help you stay proactive in reducing your or your loved ones’ risk of a fall. By taking a few precautions and making changes to the home environment, seniors can stay more independent and safer in the home.
At Trinity Life At Home, we are here to help senior adults live safely in the home for as long as possible. Contact Us Now or Call Us at (678) 731-0831 to learn more about our in-home health services.